Monday, May 29, 2006

Remembering Memorial Day ...

This is Memorial Day. It is a different one for me. Our family lost a soldier this year. David wasn’t immediate family he was a cousin’s son. We saw him at the family reunion once a year – if that. I heard about him through the family grapevine – that sort of thing.

I remember when he went to Iraq the first time. I was proud of him. I knew it was hard on his mom. But he came back and I saw him again at the family reunion. We talked a few minutes. He said he was being deployed again soon. I never once thought that would be the last time I saw him.

My sister and I went to his funeral. It was standing room only. As we went outside to walk to our car all of Jasper was out lining the street. I’ve never seen anything like it in our small town. We drove from the funeral home up to the cemetery and on either side were folks of all ages and all walks of life. They were standing there showing so much respect.

Many of them cried, many held their hands over their heart as we drove past. Though it was heartbreaking it was also heartwarming. It was a comfort. I would guess these folks didn’t know David personally, though they might have known of the family. It didn’t matter – he belonged to them.

All soldiers belong to us. They are our children, the ones we worry over, pray for. I hope they know how often we think of them.

Randy and I were staying in a hotel a while back. As we walked into the reception area one day a soldier was sitting there on the couch. He looked so tired. His bags were at his feet. I don’t know if he was headed in or headed out. But I knew one thing – he was his homeland's son, volunteering to serve and protect. I walked over and put out my hand. He shook it and looked a little perplexed when I said “Thank you”. He may have thought that he hadn’t done anything to be thanked for. But he had.

The life of a soldier is hard, the toll on their family heavy. When they come home the relief we feel is immense but they are never the same. Daddy came home following WWII, married Mom and raised the three of us. He seldom talked about his experiences until the last few years of his life and then we learned how close he came to not coming home at all.

When David came home we did not feel relief, we felt shock and sadness. But we also felt a measure of pride. David was a soldier in his heart and he served his country well doing what he felt he had to do. He wouldn’t have had it any other way.

Today is Memorial Day. It is a different day this year. We are living in a world without David…. and I remember.

Rhonda

No comments: