Wednesday, January 06, 2010

2010 And In The Kitchen Again

I received a copy of the movie "Julia and Julia" for Christmas. It's the story of Julie Powell cooking her way through Julia Child's cookbook and blogging about it. Movie was really good by the way. But more than that it inspired me to get off my duff and start cooking from scratch again. Sunday, when Sara came over to watch the movie with me, I cooked a big vat of vegetable beef soup. Now that isn't really cooking from scratch - brown meat, throw in tomatoes, corn and peas - but served with warm yeast rolls it was a hearty home cooked meal appreciated by all in the house on a cold day.

Yesterday at lunch I found a recipe on tasteofhome.com for a casserole made with broccoli, carrots, chicken and Alfredo sauce with biscuits on top. I decided that is what I'd make for supper instead of heating a frozen Marie Callender's Al Dente bowl (as delicious and easy as they are).

It was so satisfying to be in my kitchen actually chopping vegetables, cooking raw chicken, mixing up biscuit mix. Not only that, it kept me from sitting on the couch watching TV.

If I have one New Year's resolution it is to sit less and move more. I have been a sedate empty nester too long. I am going to try and find little ways to accomplish my goal. Anything too big and I lose interest. Cooking is the perfect vehicle to get to my goal. It takes energy to cook and last night I was never still. Of course there is that real danger of eating what you cook. However I believe I have enough self control to limit myself to one helping (well, one helping and a donut last night :-)

So as I look forward to 2010 I do so with a new goal in hand, renewed interest in something I can accomplish and gratitude for Julia Child who has inspired one more admirer to get in the kitchen and cook without fear.

Bon appetit !

No comments: