Thursday, January 27, 2011

Gett'in Better

After a rough start it seems things are beginning to get better for me in 2011. I have new migraine meds and after a few weeks they are finally kicking in. Only bad side effect is they make me sleepy if I take a whole pill.

I'm beginning to enjoy things again - shopping for instance. I know this may sound heartless but shopping for others is not one of my favorite things to do. Don't get me wrong, I like doing things for others but shopping for them makes me have anxiety attacks. I'm really not very good at picking out presents, except for family members. If I have to buy for someone outside the family I look, look and look until time runs out and then I just have to grab whatever I'm close to. I wrap it up but always feel that it is not a good gift. I know it is just the thought but it's just a thing with me. When someone gives me a present it is always something sweet or kool and I always think "Why didn't I think of that?"

Oh well, I digress. Let's get back to my recent purchase. I love collecting things - salt and pepper shakers, cut paper pictures, old beaded items, little boots and more recently novelty cigarette lighters. For a while now I have wanted to have a collection of pink glassware. But not just any old glass. Pale pink and with an interesting shape or design.

This week, I began that collection. I didn't want to spend much so I first went to the thrift store. They had several pink items but they were too dark or not really interesting enough. So I next went to the antique store (across from what was the old hospital). I just felt I would find something here. I walked around and saw several pieces but they were a little more than I wanted to pay. And then I spotted it, a small vase of pink and white with a gold rim. I picked it up and walked through the rest of the store to see if anything else caught my eye. Sure enough, in one of the last stalls I found a perfume bottle - so delicate, intricate with a swirl pattern and a spun stopper. I just had to have it. So I wound up getting both pieces. Thing is once I got home the first piece just didn't seem as lovely as the perfume bottle.



My purchase made me happy - like buying new purse.

Another good thing is that work seems to make me happier these days. I literally walk around with a smile on my face.

DH and I also seem to be getting along better. Matter of fact I told him to pack an overnight bag cause I'm kidnapping him Saturday for a short trip out of town. DH & DD will hold down the fort at home. I am not telling where we are going but I have a lovely weekend planned. Lunch at a nice restaurant, an afternoon of exploring the town to include an antique mall, then dinner at a true Irish pub. Complementary breakfast at the hotel then a leisurely morning before heading home.

Later......
RL

No comments: