Monday, June 20, 2011

Saying Goodbye

Greetings from The (sad) Hill,

Today we say a final goodbye to a giant of a man, my Uncle Darwin.  Uncle Darwin was the most faithful man I ever met.  Not only in a religious way though he was certainly a Godly man.  The kind of faithful I'm talking about is caring for others.  Before his Mom passed away, Uncle Darwin visited her every single morning.  After she passed he made it his job to visit my Grandmother every day until she passed.  He had a friend who is disabled and then he began visiting him on a regular basis.  Every day of Uncle Darwin's life was spent checking on others to make sure their needs were met.

The other awesome thing about Uncle Darwin was how much he loved to garden.  Even when his health wasn't so good he had the usual big garden, with help from my Aunt Wanda and his children.  While he and Aunt Wanda put away pounds and pounds of vegetables every year it wasn't as if they really needed them.  Matter of fact they gave away as much as they put up.  No, Uncle Darwin just loved to plant and watch things grow.

When I was little Uncle Darwin and Aunt Wanda and my three cousins lived in Marietta, GA.  Sometimes I'd go stay with them.  One vivid memory from when I was about four years old was eating cereal at the table and Uncle Darwin sitting beside me.  I only ate the cereal out of the milk and left the milk in the bowl.  He taught me that I should always drink the milk or my breakfast wasn't done.  Isn't it funny how little things like that stay with you.

Uncle Darwin was a gruff teddy bear.  He'd greet us with a bear hug and a kiss and leave the same way.  You always knew he loved you.  And of course we all loved him. I'm glad I told him every time I saw him.  Because we never know what will happen minute to minute.

Who knew that one morning while he was burning trash he would throw gasoline on it like he's probably done a hundred times.  Who knew that this time he would catch on fire and suffer severe burns.  Who knew that after three skin graphs, a feeding tube, tracheotomy, respirator, and three months of being unconscious he would have to leave us.

Lives change in a breath.  It was no ones fault.  Uncle Darwin fought hard to stay here but his body just wasn't strong enough in the end.

When my Daddy died it took me so long to make sense of it.  I was angry, lost and felt like the person on this earth who loved me the most left me.  I know, silly emotions for an adult but you can't help grief.  It is a strange bedfellow.

After a while I realized that it was just Daddy's time to go.  The work he had to do on this earth was done.  If it wasn't he'd still be here.  I believe that with my whole heart.  This is what gives me comfort when I lose someone.  Especially someone as special as Uncle Darwin.  Whatever he was sent to to, he did, did it well and finished it.

The Hill won't be the same without him.  I'll drive by expecting to see him out in the garden.  Just like I expect to see Grandmother on her front porch or Daddy on his tractor.  Those spots are empty now.  But you know, that's ok.  They lived a long wonderful life.  And the best that can be said about them is that whoever they touched knew they were loved.

I loved Uncle Darwin and I know he loved me.  That will be my comfort today as I say my final goodbye.

Rest in wonderful peace Uncle Darwin - November 17, 1930 - June 18, 2011

Later ...