Friday, May 12, 2006

So why Dandelion Knoll??


Most of us wear many hats. Mine are working woman, wife, mother, new mother-in-law (for 4 weeks now), piano student, beginning scrapbooker and poet - not in that order. It is that last hat that provided the name for this blog.

One spring morning a few years ago I backed out of the driveway on my way to work and there, where the old house stood, was the most wonderful carpet of yellow dandelions. For days I couldn't get that picture out of my mind. Then I started thinking about all the folks who had traveled across that little patch of land.

Where our house sits was used by the Cherokee as hunting ground. There are the remnants of a stream, the land is high and looks out over the distant mountains and we have picked up arrowheads while digging up garden spots.

The poem that was born from the sight of those dandelions that day begins ...

There is a spot where the dandelions grow
Near the woods on a little knoll
Many have come, and many will go
Over the spot where the dandelions grow...

The poem talks about the land's primeval beginning long before man walked here. Then it goes on to the native ones who hunted here. And it tells about me and my Granddad walking these woods when I was small and finally my children playing in the yard of our house.

Many have come, and many will go.....

So I thought that "Dandelion Knoll" was an appropriate name for this blog. Like the dandelions I will be the constant. But then here you are - looking around - and I'm sure there will be more after you to read the "stuff" that I pen.

So Welcome to "The Knoll"
Rhonda

No comments: