Saturday, May 13, 2006

Here I am, stuck in the moment with you.....

If you are over 45 your gonna go around the rest of the day humming that tune. Mission accomplished!! Sorry.... (I know it's "middle" not "moment")

I was just thinking about the lesson I learned when Daddy died. He lived every minute of his life as if it were the last one. He didn't put off anything till later. That is so hard to do. But for the past 3 years I have tried to be better at it. And part of doing that is to really enjoy being "in the moment".

With Mother's Day approaching we planned an outing to get the presents. We met Sara at Longhorn then went to Target and Wal*Mart (yeah we are lower middle class folks). Sara and I walked the aisles while Randy cruised the music, electronics and office supplies. While we were strolling, Sara asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day. Now I had been thinking about how I would answer that question if asked so I was ready. She and Alex are newlyweds and we all know what that means. So I told her truthfully that what I wanted was a gift from the heart. She rolled her eyes and told me she was too old to be making me macaroni necklaces, but she knew what I meant.

Recently we were rummaging through a box filled with old greeting cards and we found letters that she and Ben had written to Randy for Father's Day. They were teenagers at the time and the gist was "Thanks for putting up with me". A gift like that makes the giver and the receiver stop and think about the past and be thankful for it all. But you know what, if this Sunday I get a box with a homemade macaroni necklace inside I will love it. Chances are it will be a little more refined than the one she created in the second grade.

So what does all this have to do with being "in the moment"? Well, we were standing at the checkout counter with our Mother's Day stuff, talking about macaroni necklaces and chocolate candy when I pulled the digital camera out of my purse (that's another story) and asked her to take a picture of me so I could scrapbook our outing (for practice since I am a beginner). Again she rolled her eyes - MOM! Not gonna take a picture in the store! But you know what...I would have. And I actually did when we walked out.

Two things - 1) It's ok to be spontaneous (Lord knows my straw blowing husband has taught me that - again, another story). and 2) Make the absolute most of every moment - your supply is limited.

Happy Mother's Day
Rhonda

No comments: