Monday, November 30, 2009

Here a tat, there a tat, everywhere a tattoo

I went to Christmas play practice tonight and one of the young men there, Ethan, asked me how Ben was. As conversations always do one topic led to another and we found ourselves talking about Ben’s tattoos. Ethan said he was going soon to get his first tattoo. It will be a cross and in the middle will be the dates his grandmother was born and died. I thought if a young man is going to get a tattoo how sweet that he wanted to get one in memory of his grandmother.

Some who know me might find it a little surprising to learn that I am a secret fan of tattoos. Not getting them, but looking at them on others. My kids have tattoos, as does Randy. When they gather at the house you can bet that sometime during the visit one of them will try and convince me to get one. So far I’ve held out.

I think tattoos are fine as long as you are old enough to get one. I don’t think 16 years old is old enough, or 18 for that matter or really your early 20’s unless it is tasteful, in the proper place and for the right reason.

Tasteful is subjective so I won’t comment on that except to say I have an aversion to skulls and vampires though dragons are good (Go Pickens !!). The proper place is where it cannot be seen while you are interviewing for a job or working on a job unless the folks you plan to work with are more covered with tattoos than you are. Some of the right reasons to get a tattoo in my opinion are to honor something that is meaningful to you, like your branch of the military or your heritage, or in memory of someone who was very special. These are things that don’t change and are a part of you forever as opposed to a girl or boy friend you dated for a while or the fad symbol of the moment.

I like it when someone works with the tattoo artist to come up with an original design. Those are so much more interesting. When our niece’s son passed away Randy and Ben wanted to honor his memory. Little Charles was a one of a kind kid who had a double portion of musical talent packed into his little 3-year-old body. To honor his memory they had the artist draw up snowflakes because his pre-school teacher used to call him a little snowflake. It was tasteful and for the right reason (though I would not have put it on the back of my leg like they did).

Can you really see me getting a tattoo? I’m 52 now, but one day I’ll be 83. My mother is 83 and can you imagine little Doris Fouts with a tattoo? It’s the silliest thing ever. And what would it be??? Randy has the kids so I wouldn’t want to do that. I could get a rose in honor of Daddy because he loved his rose bushes but I really don’t want a rose tattoo and well John Deere just isn’t gonna make it on me. So what to do????

WITHOUT !!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: