Monday, May 10, 2010

I can just see it now

This has been a wonderful weekend. I typically don't go into town on Saturdays but this weekend there were errands I needed to run that took me there and I'm glad they did. Driving through town and walking around reminded me of a Norman Rockwell portrait of Americana. I'm so blessed to still live in one of those small towns that hasn't been gobbled up yet by big box commerce (though we are on the verge).

It actually all started Thursday on the National Day of Prayer. I met my sister at lunch in front of the courthouse where an event had been planned. Several pastors and others were asked to lead us in pray for various areas that touch our lives; our family, local, state and federal government, schools, etc. I expected a bigger crowd but the moderator said there were more here this year than last and he hoped next year would be even bigger.

Then Saturday morning as I drove through the mass of folks out getting their Mother's Day presents I passed a yard sale at the Methodist church. I didn't have time to stop but would have loved to. Up the road at the Middle School parking lot teenagers were fundraising by washing cars. Two guys were by the road waving homemade signs. A block up from there is our small Saturday morning farmer's market where local growers and craftsmen bring their wares. Homegrown tomatoes, beans, corn and handcrafted birdhouses and pottery are for sale.

By the time I got to Kroger I had a smile on my face already and then it got bigger. There were some little Boy Scouts selling colorful wooden rose buds as a fundraiser just in time for Mother's Day.

As I drove out of town I started thinking about all the Norman Rockwell paintings I have seen and concluded that my little hometown would have been a perfect subject for a Norman Rockwell collage. I can just see it now.

No comments: