Monday, January 31, 2011

Rain in Georgia

Greetings from The Hill,

It rained today and it got me thinking about other times it rained.  It rained the day they buried Daddy.  That made me feel good because I heard somewhere once that the angels cry with joy when a good person dies.  Therefore I am always comforted when it rains when someone I know dies.

When I was young I helped my parents work in the garden.  One time a storm came up.  There was thunder and lightening and it was sprinkling rain.  Mom was in the garden gathering something and wanted to get it done before the hard rain came.  I was so scared.  I just knew she was going to get hit by lightening.  Of course she didn't. 

There was a big tree on the hill above our house.  When a storm came up Mom was always afraid the tree would fall. We would go to the other side of the house and lay down on the bed until the storm was over.  Can't count how many times we did that during my childhood.

It also rained on our wedding day.  Actually it was a downpour.  We were married in the sanctuary of the church but folks had to go outside, up some stairs and across the road to the fellowship hall where we had our reception.  Folks were running and sharing umbrellas, it was a site.  Somewhere along the way I heard that it is good luck if it rains on your wedding day.  I don't know about luck but we have been together over 28 years.

Then when we built our house Ran wanted a metal roof.  Of course I was all for it.  I liked the look and the durability.  The very night we moved in it rained and we discovered the joys of rain on a metal roof.  It lulled our son to sleep for years.  And when it comes a hard rain it is so loud it roars.  You can't get that with shingles.

Later ...

No comments: