Wednesday, February 02, 2011

The Triangle

Greetings from The Hill,

When our son graduated from college he got a good job and moved into his first solo apartment.  We visited often and were so proud of him.  One day he called and wanted me to come over to help him with his finances.  He was worried about how he was handling things.

When we sat down to look things over he told me that he thought of his life as a triangle, the points consisting of work, personal finances and relationships.  He said if finances and work were going good, relationships suffered.  If he had a good relationship going, work or finances suffered.  Seemed he could never balance all three points of the triangle at any given time. 

This week I stared thinking about my triangle.  The points on mine are housework, computer/TV time and Ran time.  As I pondered my triangle I started thinking about what might be the triangle of other members of my family.  Of course I'm just guessing but my daughter's triangle might consist of photography, her other arts pursuits and her dog, Biscuit.  Ran's might consist of flying model airplanes, work and keeping the house and cars maintained. Actually he might have a square with the 4th point being me time.  My sister's might be controlling her fibromyalgia pain, caring for Mom and helping her son with his life skills.

What does your triangle look like and is it balanced today?

Later....

1 comment:

Your sister said...

I think when one is your son's age, a triangle might sum up his life. When one is as old as I am, a triangle only scratches the surface of life. For example, your triangle leaves out caring for Mom while your example for me leaves out making time to spend with my husband, housework, time for myself. Would that life were as simple as a triangle, but then we wouldn't have the experience of the complexities of life. Glad you are visiting Dandelion Knoll again. It has reminded me that we need to continue our writing in whatever form. My journal has suffered. Thanks for reminding me! Love you - Your sister