Sunday, June 05, 2011

5 Dollar Store Decorating Ideas for Summer

Greetings from The (spruced up) Hill,

When the seasons change I love to add a few things around the house to welcome the warm of Spring/Summer. Because these are seasonal items I don’t want to spend a lot of money so I visit the Dollar Stores.  They put seasonal items out early so I can get a jump start. Dollar store items are inexpensive so I can make several changes for not a lot of money and it is just plain fun to poke around and find items that fit in with my house décor.  Below are my favorite ways to spruce up a kitchen or screened porch.


1.  Front Door Mat:  Because dollar store rugs and mats are so inexpensive you can treat them like disposable items.  I recently paid $5.00 for a mat that will get me through the whole year if I want.  That is less than 50 cents a month.



2.  Kitchen Rugs: Buy 2 slice kitchen rugs, one for in front of the sink and one for in front of the dishwasher.  Ever notice how much water gets on the floor in front of the dishwasher?  If you are tired of constantly cleaning it up, let the rug absorb it for you.  Pick a rug you like and use the colors in the rug to set a new spring color theme for your kitchen.  When the season is over these rugs can get packed away and brought out another time.




3.  Cafe Curtains: There is always a wide selection in the curtain aisle of a dollar store.  You can separate the set and use the valance over the sink and the bottom set on a door using small inexpensive tension rods. 







4.  Tablecloth:  Dollar stores often sell tablecloths that match or coordinate with other kitchen items.  I used this vinyl, felt backed tablecloth on the porch.  Because this area gets a lot of use in warm weather the tablecloth will be a disposable item when fall comes.



5.  Sheers:  You can create the feel of an outside room on a screened porch .  Buy sheer panels in a complementing color and hang them in a corner using tension rods.  At end of season they can be packed away for later use.


Do you have any low cost dollar store decorating experiences to share?

Later….

No comments: