Friday, June 03, 2011

Friday Night Thoughts

 Have you ever sat down to write and just jotted down everything that came to mind, letting one thought lead into another.  I have.  So tonight that will be my blog post.  Here goes.

Like "Coffee Talk" from Saturday Night Live we must begin with a topic to get the ball rolling.  Let's begin with my daughter.  She very rarely sings in front of people.  Tonight she is up in her room just singing away.  I'm eavesdropping I know but I love to hear her.  And of course when I start writing about her she stops.  Leo the cat is having a wild night.  Running to and fro in front of me chasing some imagined pray.  Then he stops quickly and jumps up into the air, spinning around to run the other way.  Silly cat.  DH started watching this show called Whale Wars.  While I believe in stopping folks from killing whales these guys take it a step further and do stuff like shoot red paint at the illegal poacher's ship.  Last night they rammed into a ship causing damage to their hull.  Crazy people.  I gotta watch something else.  Oh yeah, reruns of The Next Food Network Star.  Do you remember Hans Rueffert from Season 1?   The reason he didn't win is that they could not nail down his point of view and that is critical for this show.  His restaurant is up the road from where I work.  He's a great guy who is one of the strongest people I know.  It is because of his talent in the kitchen that I fell in love with Bavarian Red Cabbage.  This rerun is of last season.  Remember Aarti of Aarti Party?  While she won the competition it was Tom Pizzica who made a big splash on Food Network.  DD is going to the grocery store.  Wonder who she will see?  Can't go without running into someone.  I had a really uncomfortable experience recently.  Ran into an old acquaintance who has been diagnosed with a fatal disease.  How do you respond when someone you barely know stands in front of you and says the Dr. told him he was dying?  He had such a hard time this winter that his brother had to buy his groceries and help with other things.  I heard that song I love today on the radio on the way to work, Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Are Dying".  So all day I've been thinking about that.  How would my life be different if I knew my time was limited?  I think little things wouldn't worry me so.  I'd be happy for every minute of every day.  I'd be sure to tell the special people in my life how much they have meant to me.  And I would quickly do the things I could from my Bucket List.  Enough of that.  Truth is every day could be my last so I just need to live like I was dying each day. 

I switched over to a taped episode of Extreme Makeover.  This show makes me cry almost every time.   I've changed my focus in trying to find a footstool.  Because they are so hard to find I'm beginning to think outside the box.  My Twitter friends have given me a couple of really good ideas.  One idea is to find a small table the right wood, scale and shape.  Cut down the legs, pad the top and there ya go, footstool.  Another idea is to find a chair that would do, cut the back off and mount the back two legs like the front two.    The other idea I'm brewing is to ask one of the guys at work to build one using found wood.  I can probably go to the local upholstery store and get scraps of foam and fabric.   I sure could use a footstool right about now.  Just went to take my PM meds and remembered it is Friday night.  Saturday is going to be busy.  Our family reunion is Sunday so there is lots of prep.  Roll Mom's hair, help her make a chicken casserole to take, do the banking and pay bills.  Clean house (especially the bedroom), get ingredients for my dish and make it because it gets better the longer it sits in the fridge.  I'm making a broccoli salad with raisins, sunflower seeds and a delicious dressing made with sugar, mayo and apple cider vinegar.  It's almost summer, time for cookouts and company.  I love when the house is full of folks but stress over what to fix.  Last night I pulled out the recipes of some of my favorite things, appetizers, main dishes, sides and desserts.  Then I grouped them together into meals.  That way when we expect company all I have to do is pull out the prepared menu, buy the ingredients and put it all together.  You don't have to cook a lot of items, just cook a lot of what you plan.

I have lots more to say but think I'm gonna call it quits.  Be bedtime soon.  Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Later...

P.S. I'm looking for a simplified version of this footstool.  I'll be sure to post a picture of what I wind up with.

No comments: