Friday, May 06, 2011

Back to the Knoll

Greetings from the (post vacation) Knoll,


Thought I'd pop back here and begin journaling again. Or at least try to.  We spent last week in Savannah.  Highlights were getting to see our nephew Michael and his family.  We also went to Tybee and walked the beach all morning.  It was so wonderful to visit the ocean again.   And once again I was struck by the vastness and power of it. 






That's Ran walking in the distance.
And of course we had some fab eats.  I had contacted food critic Tim Rutherford who gave me a list of less touristy places to go.  Wiley's Championship BBQ was a fav.




Wiley's Championship BBQ
At Wiley's I had the brisket.  My side of Janet's sweet potato casserole was almost as good a mom makes.  They also let us go out back and see the cookers.

John telling us how they cook the meat.


We also ate at Cha Bella, a farm to table restaurant.  Oh my, the food was so fantastic. My app was North Carolina Scallops served with  melted leeks, topped with Provencal sauce.  For my entree I chose Bone-In White Marble Farms Pork Chop,Pan-seared with fresh herbs, roasted local sweet potatoes, Walker Farms wilted garlic spinach and an apple onion chutney.  I have to tell you the chutney was heaven.  Wish I could have taken a jar of that home.  I Googled and found a recipe online.  I will definitely try it.

On our own we also ate at a touristy place, The Crab Shack.

Resident cat welcoming committee.  Scratch the belly and be seated.
View from our table.
The Menu
My dungeness crab
The Crab Shack
The service was great, there was a nice breeze blowing and the crab was excellent.  What more could you ask for from a coastal restaurant.

Did we go on River Street?  Of course we did.  Did we drive around the city looking at the beautiful architecture?  Of course we did.  Did we buy sweets at several places??? Yes we did.  I'm a sucker for sweets.  We had cookies from Two Smart Cookies, pralines and other assorted chocolates from 2 candy stores on River Street and we visited the Byrd Cookie Company.  Gotta try the Benne Wafers.  Yum!

It was a great vacation and I'm ready to go back to visit the places we missed this time.  Ah well.  You always need something to look forward to.

Later...

No comments: